Sunday, January 25, 2015

Epoxy Application

After the cutting was done, it was time to get started on putting the boat together. To do this we had to purchase epoxy, get some saw dust, buy paint brushes, paint chippers, disposable measuring cups, and a plastic tarp. The picture on the left is of epoxy which is essentially the thing that will hold the boat together. The reason there are two separate containers is because once mixed together you have between 45 minutes and an hour to finish the job. The reason we needed saw dust is that once you paint a layer of epoxy onto each of the pieces you're going to put together you need to apply putty between the two. The putty is a mix of the epoxy and the saw dust which ends up looking like peanut butter. once that is in between the two pieces we needed to make sure to put weight on the site without pushing out the epoxy and putty because it needed to bond to the wood. As of now I have epoxied the sides(I needed to epoxy the sides because they were cut into two separate pieces), the transom, and the support to all of the seat tops. I still need to finish the bottom and the next part of the transom.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Boat Building Begins

Well, after almost a month without an update, there's going to be a lot of updates going on in this post. After the plans were received, me, my dad, and my grandpa went to by the wood. We found that the best price for the marine grade plywood was at a place in Detroit called Public Lumber. At first I was a little bit nervous, because this place was located on the corner of 7 mile and Cameron St, which, for those of you who aren't to familiar with the area, is kind of sketchy. Luckily the staff was great and they had exactly what we were looking for at a great price.


After the plywood was purchased and a few days went by, we started to draw out the plans onto the wood. One thing that I can honestly tell everybody after drawing out all of those plans is not to under estimate the amount of time it  will take to draw a boat and all of it's dimensions onto wood. It took two people nearly four hours of work. It wasn't too bad though, because we split it up into two different days.
 Once all the drawing was done, we were ready to start cutting the pieces out. I'm going to be honest, this was my first time using a circular saw, so I was somewhat nervous, but I did find and I definitely prefer it over a traditional handheld saw. We worked diligently for a good three days (these are pictures from day one only, it snowed so we were in the garage the other two days). The sawing at first was new and somewhat chalanging to get the hang of, but after a while, it got pretty easy.


Although these aren't the best pictures, this is the whole boat laid out on my basement floor. the next step in the process is simply to put all of these puzzle pieces together.