This last week or so wasn't a huge step but it was very important. First we laid the boat on it's top and placed the bottom on. we then drilled holes in the areas that we felt would connect it well. We then used copper wires to connect and tighten the bottom against the rest of the boat. The last thing we did was use a planar tool to line up the sides of connecting parts such as the transom and the sides. The next thing to do will be to epoxy all of the parts together.
Sunday, February 8, 2015
After the epoxy dried our next step was to put the boat together using zip ties and screws (which will be taken out) so that we can easily make sure we glue it right. the picture to the left was the first step in putting it together, we drilled holes in the front of the sides so we could put the zip ties in and form the bow. We then had to screw in the transom (back of the boat) so that we could start putting in the seat frames which will provide the curvature of the boat. The middle seat frames were the next step. We had to make sure that the edges of the seat frames lined up with the side butt blocks which were the small pieces of would that connected the whole side of the boat. We then screwed them into place which made the boat start to take form. The next step was to screw in both the bow seat and transom seat frames. The purpose of putting in screws is to roughly build the skeleton of the boat before epoxying it and making everything permanent. Another advantage to this was that we could make sure we could fit the boat through our basement and to our driveway. I wanted to make sure that my boat wasn't just a decoration in the basement, which luckily it fits up the stairs because otherwise I would have had to take it apart and wait for spring to put it together again. Next part of the building is to flip the boat over and put the bottom on and screw that into place before permanently gluing the boat together.