Friday, March 20, 2015
It's official..... The boat is able to float! We set filets up in all of the inside joints, the filets are made up of epoxy and the peanut butter type glue. We then let it set a little bit and made frames for the seats to go onto. After a good half an hour of working on the seat frames and letting the filets set, we started to lay the fiberglass cloth. The weird thing about the fiberglass is that it starts out as something very similar to a fabric. To lay it into the joint right you have to measure the length of the of the region and then cut the cloth accordingly. You then need to make sure it lines up evenly in the joint and role it out to make sure it flattens. Once it looks even on both sides you use a paint brush to paint epoxy over it. This forms an extremely strong bond with the boat. Now that that is all done, technically, the boat would be able to float, but there is still a ways to go, we need to fiberglass the outside for added support and also make arrangements for the seat tops, and much more.
Friday, March 6, 2015
The step that we took in boat building this week was to epoxy and filet the frames into place so that we would no longer need screws to hold them into place. It took multiple mixtures to finish with the frames which means that I had no idea how much epoxy and glue we would need to complete it. I just decided that I just would be better off to make three small mixtures and take my time,than make one and have to rush.Lucky for me, it took just enough time for the epoxy to toughen up so I could get done working. The next step in the process is to put the fiberglass tape in the seams between the hull and sides of the boat, which will also require epoxy. This project has really come a long way, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.